Aluminumhullsailor

Default Genset / DC/ H20 MKR / Fridge / Air Compressor Project?

All,

Has anyone made or designed a small water cooled diesel unit that will
power an AC Generator, DC Alt., run a high pressure pump for the
watermaker, and run the refrig. compressor all at once?

I have seen some adds in the mags for units but would rather make my
own due to price and parts used on the comercial units. Hence project
"Three Mile Island".... takes shape.

I want to have a unit i can run 1.5 hours a day or less that will make
water, charge the batts, cool the food, and make by products of a hot
water tank. All for just a bit of diesel, maintenance, and upfront
cost. I would also like to install this so i can drive from my real
engine in the event of a major failure of my "3M island" smaller
engine. (lay shaft?) Please review and comment on the following
design so far.

Initial Demands:
1. AC Generation
2. Dive tank compressor (clutched)
3. Refrig compressor (clutched)
4. Water maker pump (clutched)
5. DC Alt Drive

Initial Specs and HP demand:

1. 4800 Watt DC (max of 2 200A alts((overkill for needs)) = approx 6.4
hp
2. dive tank = 3 hp for 3.9cfm (not running most of time, will switch
out with other clutched unit if demand on engine is too high)
3. Fridge compressor = 4 hp (includes water cooling for condensor)
4. h2o maker pump = 4hp (from specs)
5. DC gen 4000 watts = 6hp

This all totals around 14 hp, with plenty of fudge factor built in on
the 200A alts. I see plenty of diesels in this range. I may elect to
go for a genset that has a PTO on it. This would provid a starting
platform to begin with. So with all that out....

I am looking for input on:

a. Any other ideas or input from those who have built a "3M Island"
b. Engine suggestions
c. Component suggestions (alt, fridge pump, and so on. Brand names?)
d. What else should i run with it?
e. If you have something to sell (engine, alt, pumps, so on)

Cheers