posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Northey Jim Northey is offline

Default Outboard engine cooling system question

Should still be a very small amount of water flow even if stuck closed .
There is a small bypass hole to allow a small trickle to pass. I would
recheck the pickup tube from the impeller housing to the power head to make
sure it's plugged in properly at both ends.
Jim
wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Mar 08, Frank wrote:
I made sure the water level in the barrel was well
above the water intake.

Make sure it's higher than the impeller. There's no mark on the
outside of your lower unit indicating where it is, you'll just have to
estimate. But some impellers won't suck up water if they're above
water level.
Second thing, remove the thermostat. It might be stuck closed. It
won't hurt to run the engine without it. If that's the problem, you
can replace it later.

Rick