Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

Default Pontoon boat polish

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:09:46 GMT, "Don Dando"
sent into the ether:

Ken,
I've cleaned a lot of pontoon boats for customers where the boat remains in
the lake all season and goes into winter storage. The boats have about 1/2"
of algae growth and they are a real mess appearance wise. Many are from
lakes that have a 9.9 hp limit and the algae really slows them down.
I put on a yellow plastic rain jacket, pants,cap, gloves, and a respirator.
Then using a hand pump common garden sprayer I apply a solution of muratic
acid diluted 50%.

If I'm fortunate enough to have the boat brought to me directly from the
lake if it doesn't have time to dry, the growth comes off a bit easier. If
it is still soft I can get a lot of it off with a pressure washer. More
often however it is brought to me completely dry and takes multiple
applications of the diluted acid.

Next I completely pressure wash the pontoons to remove all the acid and let
it dry so the water won't dilute the next step.

Next I apply a product from ZEP Cleaning Chemical Company known as
Alum-I-Bright. The most common use of this product is to brighten aluminum
18 wheeler trailers. This will remove the dark dull/black colors on the
pontoons and leave them a bright and uniform aluminum color. From here is
you want a high gloss silver looking pontoon use a fine grade buffing
compound and a medium speed lambs wool buffing wheel. Unfortunately, it
won't last.

Don Dando

Don,
Where are you located, I have some buddies with pontoons that would
love to have them cleaned. e-mail me the particulars and I will
forward them. They are not all in my area, but I have no idea where
you are or the name of your company.

Dan
...-
Need a construction safety person?