posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Chuck Tribolet Chuck Tribolet is offline

Default NiMH Rechargeable Battery Repair

The pros don't solder, they spot weld the tabs on.

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message ...

"msg" wrote in message ...
Gregory Hall wrote:

snip
Problem is I am not at all sure how to secure a conductor from "plus" to
"minus" with the cells to make a strong and long-lasting series connection.
Is there some kind of conductive adhesive or conductive film that can be
used for this application? Larry, where are you when we need you (weak
humor)?

Use copper wire and solder it to the top and bottom's of the respective batteries. The trick is to not get the battery ends too
hot. Use one of those fancy butane torches that have a tiny flame. They will melt and stick the solder without harming the
battery. Practice on a couple dead batteries first to get your technique down. Use rosin core solder.

Our local "Batteries Plus" (USA) will weld tabs onto customer's batteries
for a small token payment ($2 last time I had a dozen done).

Michael

Strange how at least one subscriber here says "Don't do it!" yet it's plain that it's done all the time. I guess what some people
believe is THEY can't do it while a so-called professional can. What they're really saying is don't do it because *I* can't do it
and I don't want you doing it because YOU would make ME look bad. They don't believe they have the skill to do a simple job. They
don't have the guts to even try it on a dead battery. They would have YOU be the same. How pathetic is that? And these people
claim to be sailors? Yeah right! Probably have to pay somebody to repair a tear in a sail, or put an eye splice in doublebraid, or
wire up their GPS, or put a coat or two of paint on their boat's bottom, or install new standing rigging, or install new parts in
the head pump.

Stupidity, laziness, fear, sloth and ineptitude is all that one encounters in this world anymore. A bunch of dependent people all
queuing up to pay somebody else with borrowed money to do things they should learn how to do themselves. Disgusting and pathetic!

--
Gregory Hall