posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Marc Heusser[_2_] Marc Heusser[_2_] is offline

Default NiMH Rechargeable Battery Repair

In article ,
"Gregory Hall" wrote:

Strange how at least one subscriber here says "Don't do it!" yet it's plain
that it's done all the time. I guess what some people believe is THEY can't
do it while a so-called professional can. What they're really saying is
don't do it because *I* can't do it and I don't want you doing it because
YOU would make ME look bad. They don't believe they have the skill to do a
simple job. They don't have the guts to even try it on a dead battery. They
would have YOU be the same. How pathetic is that? And these people claim to
be sailors?

There are good reasons not to do it yourself here.
I can solder - but I also know that such a procedure will hurt the
battery, and I also know that solder joints are susceptible to failing
under vibrations, corrosion etc.
Just because something can be done and it works first does not mean it
will be reliable and live long. Qualities I tend to look for if it is
installed on my boat.
Of course everyone is free to use their preferred solution. I just do
not recommend soldering for this purpose.
It is just like I'd never use screw terminals to join conductors on a
boat.

HTH

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com