posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Gregory Hall Gregory Hall is offline

Default NiMH Rechargeable Battery Repair

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message

Armond Perretta wrote:
Sorry for crosspost but r.b.e doesn't seem to see much traffic these
days.

I am trying to rebuild several old handheld VHF battery packs that seem
no
longer commercially available. The radios themselves seem fine and are
certainly OK for my application. I took the batteries apart and tried a
temporary fix with standard alkaline AA cells, taping aluminum foil in
place
to make series connections. The radios seemed to like this so I bought a
quantity of the corresponding NiMH rechargeable AA cells to make a
permanent
repair.

Problem is I am not at all sure how to secure a conductor from "plus" to
"minus" with the cells to make a strong and long-lasting series
connection.
Is there some kind of conductive adhesive or conductive film that can be
used for this application? Larry, where are you when we need you (weak
humor)?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Hi, Armond, and group,

I took another device to Batteries Plus. Having already opened the
case, they did them microweld/jumper/connection tags to the
appropriate batteries for only the cost of the batteries themselves.

I expect that would be a good solution to your dilemma...

These posts **** me off. Whatever happened to self-reliance? Everybody but
myself's answer is to pay somebody else to do a simple job. Yes pay what a
battery costs to get somebody else to do what you should be able to do
yourself. Are there any REAL men left in the world anymore or are there just
lazy bums with more money than skill or sense?

--
Gregory Hall