posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default NiMH Rechargeable Battery Repair

Armond Perretta wrote:
Sorry for crosspost but r.b.e doesn't seem to see much traffic these days.

I am trying to rebuild several old handheld VHF battery packs that seem no
longer commercially available. The radios themselves seem fine and are
certainly OK for my application. I took the batteries apart and tried a
temporary fix with standard alkaline AA cells, taping aluminum foil in place
to make series connections. The radios seemed to like this so I bought a
quantity of the corresponding NiMH rechargeable AA cells to make a permanent
repair.

Problem is I am not at all sure how to secure a conductor from "plus" to
"minus" with the cells to make a strong and long-lasting series connection.
Is there some kind of conductive adhesive or conductive film that can be
used for this application? Larry, where are you when we need you (weak
humor)?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Hi, Armond, and group,

I took another device to Batteries Plus. Having already opened the
case, they did them microweld/jumper/connection tags to the
appropriate batteries for only the cost of the batteries themselves.

I expect that would be a good solution to your dilemma...

HTH

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)