Jim Woodward

Default Faucets

You actually plate chrome over nickel over bronze. This is the
absolutely standard way of using chrome plate. The problem is, the
base metal doesn't have to be bronze, it can be pot metal (cheap zinc
alloy) which will pit and corrode after a while.

And, BTW, nickel is in many ways more satisfactory than chrome on top.
It's not quite as "bright", but lasts longer.

We tend to have a "has to be marine" attitude. Next time you're at a
boat show, go aboard a Swan (I would say they're the finest of
production boats, but as an ex-owner, I'm predjudiced). Look at the
bath and kitchen fittings, cabinet hardware, doorknobs, and so forth.
You'll find them all at good home stores.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Brian D" wrote in message news:Z6Hfb.38714$%h1.26889@sccrnsc02...
Doesn't anybody make 18-8, 316, or at least chrome plated bronze (I assume
you can chrome plate bronze) faucets and plumbing for the marine world???
Either it's a gross oversight on industry's part or a gross ignorance
problem on my part ....who can really tell?

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
Pretty often, if you go to a "real" plumbing supply house, you can find
high quality faucets (i.e. chrome plated brass or straight brass) and
such which will hold up better in a marine environment. Pretty much
same quality but not packaged for "marine use". It depends on what your
cosmetic needs are also... a (reasonable quality metal) utility sink
faucet will hold up pretty good. OTOH, some of the all plastic faucets
made these days (and coated with a fake chrome) will hold up as good as
the good metal ones... except they are not as solid. It takes less of
a bump to break them.

Ed

steveb wrote:
ospam (Stephen Baker) lifted the trapdoor, peered

around
and wrote:

But if you buy the marine units, you shouldn't need to replace them

every
decade or so - there is a reason why some stuff is expensive; it is

built for
its intended use.

Sometimes this is true. Sometimes the higher price reflects the

additional
marketing burden required to shift small quantities of niche products.

And
sometimes it is simply overpriced.

steveb