AB

Default Polyester epoxy

Think of it this way:-
Polyester is a bonding resin, which means that it binds a material, I.E.
fibreglass by surrounding the fibres on both sides and through the fine
glass filaments. If you use it on ply then it cannot soak into the surface
and through to the other side to bind the plywood fibres.
Epoxy is basically a very strong glue which binds two surfaces together.
The costs will be negligible if you just put a lightweight coat of epoxy and
glass onto the hull, instead of coating it over a polyester surface.

"not-it.org" wrote in message
If this is not a "troll", then read on:

I would have a problem with you mixing the two types of resins - I
wouldn't buy the boat. It's not because of the epoxy - I'm not
convinced that the poly should be next to the hull.

I have had great luck with epoxy staying stuck to wood. Not so with
poly - it's designed to stick to itself and fiberglass, and f/glass,
and itself. I've had delaminations occur on my tests in using poly to
stick f/g to a wood hull. It may take a few years to happen, but thats
why I wouldn't buy a used boat constructed that way.

It may work wonderfully for years, and I hope it will for you,
However, do a lot of reading on the chemistry and bonding
characteristics before you sacrifice sweat and wallet-padding.
It will be cheaper to build it only once (duh... but true).

I have spent *months* in the past going over it, and over it again, to
eventually "bite the bullet" and get epoxy, and so far am still glad.

litmus test:
If it's a boat to be proud of, its worth the epoxy.

If it's a boat to :
try a new design - poly
take care of for 20 years - epoxy
beat up, and become a 'planter' in 4 years - poly.
make a f/g mold for a one-off - poly
annoy others with fumes - poly

- - -
Why not slap together a cheap-ply row boat, and test this out, first.

make itunder 8ft and you can build it out of 1 or 2 sheets of
plywood, ~4mm. Then glass it - the poly wont be all that much for one
gallon, thats the premise, here. Maybe buy the glass for both all at
once, n save a few bucks.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:43:21 +0100, "carlp" wrote:

Anyone have suggestions or problems resulting from the use of polyester

for
the bulk of construction and epoxy to seal the polyester, say a 85

gm.glass
woven cloth impregnated with epoxy .
Only the cost saving would be large, considering the difference in the

price
of the two resins.
I have started on the frames of a 23 ft. WL. sailboat, strong back is in
place.
cheers
Carl.