posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

Default Raymarine C120

"Bruce in alaska" wrote in message
Larry, your assuming that the data is a continuous stream from the 38K
data source. This is a BIG Assumption, and I would bet that the data is
burst or packetized, and the actual 38K thru-put is actually less than
that of the 4800 NEMA thru-put. If you were right and the 38K data was
Streaming, then I suspect that only a fraction of that data is required
represent the AIS information, when converted to the NEMA 4800 required
Sentence Structure, and the Multiplexer, would FIFO, and buffer, the
data, using internal registers, since NEMA updates only happen about
once a second anyway.

maybe our Multiplexer Friend, Miendert SP could enlighten us on the
subject, if he is still reading the newsgroup.....

Still reading... every day :-)

The C and E series displays do not pass AIS data to it's output, only the
standard instrument data is sent out, which 'fits' into a 4800 baud channel.

Meindert