posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] pdrahn@webformixair.com is offline

Default Tinning copper bar

On Mar 10, 12:49 pm, CS wrote:
I have some lengths of cooper bar - 1 inc x 1/2 inch x 5 inch - used
as interconnectors on 2v battery cells. I wish to tin them and can
either cart them off to an electroplater or tin with solder. Solder
wire worked fine on a test piece with a blow torch. My question is
which solder bar to go for - lead free or leaded?? My instinct is
leadfree - tin with some silver and possible copper - something like
Sn96/Ag4.

TVMIA

Hi.
You have gotten some good suggestions from the group. All seem to
assume you are going to put the bars back on the batteries, but you
never stated that, or what you were going to do with the bars.

Since the cells are 2 volt, we can assume they are lead-sulfuric acid.
Other chemistry will give different voltages.

If you are replacing the bars on the cells, spray them with clear
polyurethane for protection. Even if you tin them or plate them, still
protect them with something. All plating/tinning will have some
porosity an allow the acid vapor to begin electrolysis of the plating
and the copper. This is why your chrome trim on vehicles needs wax to
seal it. Polyurethane will completely seal the surface and will not
detract from the color of the plating.

Give us some more information!

best regards, Paul