posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.boats.electronics
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Tinning copper bar

"CS" wrote: (clip) My question is
which solder bar to go for - lead free or leaded?? (clip)

I believe lead is used on top of storage batteries because it resists
corrosion by the sulfuric acid fumes. Using solder, I would worry that the
acid would leach out the tin, and leave you with a porous layer which would
then allow the acid to attack the copper. I would try tinning with solder,
and then cover that with lead. I'm pretty sure you could get the lead to
wet the solder easier than trying to get it to wet the copper. (Have never
tried it, though.)