posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

Default Raymarine C120

"Larry" wrote in message
| "WBH" wrote in
| :
|
| The only way to resolve
| this is to use a device which can 'convert' the baudrate from 38400 to
| 4800 bps
|
| Wouldn't this soon be overrun with data pouring in at 38400 and dripping
| out at 4800? If there's a lot of AIS targets, is 4800 fast enough to keep
| the converter memory from being overrun??

The "baudrate conversion" is for the data stream coming FROM the C-series
(or E-series). This data stream does not contain AIS data. I agree that
potentially there is always the risk that if you input NMEA data at 38400,
4800 will not provide enough bandwidth to output that same data, but the
C-series output is GPS and instrument data and the total volume is unlikely
to exceed the 4800 bandwidth. The multiplexer's buffering takes care of the
input volume peaks that may occur.
Also, if the baudrate conversion input port receives a full data stream
including AIS, the Brookhouse multiplexer automatically filters out that AIS
data for the same reason. This situation does not normally occur if
connected to a C or E-series, but Brookhouse multiplexers have several
baudrate conversion options and one of them (option 3) involves feeding the
full data stream into the baudrate conversion input buffer. The purpose of
this is that the NMEA data is also available at 4800 bps to feed standard
(4800) listeners. In this case the AIS data is filtered out automatically.
Read more he
http://www.brookhouseonline.com/pdf%...%20Options.pdf

Wout