Lloyd Sumpter

Default New engine for Far Cove

Thanks for the reply, Jim!

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:13:13 +0000, Jim Woodward wrote:

As a very rough rule of thumb, you can assume that increasing speed
one knot requires doubling the horsepower, so between 26, 29, and
31hp, you won't see much difference.

I'm beginning to think this way. I should see a marked increase from the
18 (maybe) I'm getting now, though, and probably over the 21 I'd get with
a rebuild.

All of which shows that adding power to increase top speed is
difficult. More power will help in maneuvering, acceleration, and
punching into wind or seas, but don't look for much increase in flat
water top speed.

Yes, that's definitely another reason to up my power: any serious
headwind/waves and I'm down to 3 knots.

I don't know any of these engines at all well, but on general
experience and predjudice I would take a Westerbeke over a Volvo any
day. And have you looked at Yanmar?

Interesting...My "take" on the various reputations was that Universal (now
Westerbeke) is pretty low on the food chain. I HATED my Volvo furnace, but
Volvo cars and trucks seem pretty well-built and reliable, and Volvo-Penta
at least is easier to get parts than Universal/Westerbeke. I may have to
re-think this...

Trouble is, I'm not sure I can fit the bigger Westerbeke in, and if I do,
it might intrude in the galley too much (I'd have to build a new engine
cover). And I'd SURE like 30hp!

Lloyd