posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

Default Raymarine C120

"darlo 61" wrote in message
| I've just fitted a Raymarine C120 with a NASA AIS. I also have a new
| DSC VHF to fit & was hoping to use the GPS via NMEA from the Raymarine
| to give a position n the VHF however the system setup will only let me
| have AIS or NMEA as Output. Is there any way around this? Any advise
| in lay mans terms please.

The problem is the baud rate. If you configure the C120 for AIS, the
baudrate of both input and output NMEA port becomes 38400 bps. The C120 will
still send the NMEA data, including GPS, but the baudrate of 38400 is too
high for the DSC VHF radio. It only accepts 4800bps. The only way to resolve
this is to use a device which can 'convert' the baudrate from 38400 to 4800
bps or buy a cheap GPS mouse as a dedicated GPS for the VHF. The latter also
has the advantage that your VHF radio still receives lat/lon when the C120
is switched off and that you have a backup GPS with lat/lon readout on the
radio LCD. Baudrate conversion is possible with a NMEA multiplexer like the
Miniplex of Shipmodul or the one my company makes:
http://www.brookhouseonline.com/pdf%...egration_1.pdf
http://www.brookhouseonline.com/pdf%...egration_2.pdf
http://www.brookhouseonline.com/pdf%...egration_3.pdf

Wout