Brian D

Default Poplar plywood

And THAT is probably why I won't be able to find a lightweight plywood for
the superstructure of my boat...the trade-offs aren't worth it. Denser is
tougher, less dense is ...less dense, and all you get when you buy low
density wood. Anyone know of a marine grade foam core hardwood-veneered
product? Seems like I saw something like that somewhere. Note: Most of
this is academic and just fun to look into. I'm sure I'll end up using
standard marine ply of some kind in the end.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message

. ..
We are talking about two different things.
The plywood we are testing is not a buck a truckload, it is not plain

cheap
wood.

Poplar is poplar is poplar. Maybe they put some expensive glue or
coating on it to dress it up but poplar still has bad qualities, it
soaks up water like a sponge and gets soft, it expands tremendiously
and distorts, it discolors (turns black with moisture), and it rots
easily, does not hold fasteners well, etc. However, it seems that you
have long before asking us, made up your mind and used it... So I will
leave it alone from here on...
Scotty

Anyway, I got at least one interesting response about a similar

experiment
(thanks Paolo) and since I am very stuborn, I will keep testing.
What keeps me going is the memory of all the people who were laughing at

my
first boat designed for Airex. Foam for a boat hull? It will never work

they
said . . .

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message

The poplar plywood I am testing is listed here as "marine" plywood:
http://www.worldpanel.com/eurolite.htm

I don't expect much distortion from a 5 ply 6mm ply with melamine

glue,
saturated with epoxy and fiberglassed.

I am playing the devil's advocate here. I keep an open
mind about it and I am not ready to endorse it for such

applications. I
may
if my tests come out positive, I may not if I read about some bad
experiences.

Thanks for your opinions and I would like to read more.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

Well, I still think it is a bad idea, if for no other reason than that
the stuff is a buck a truckload up here in the NE and I have *never*
heard of *anyone* using is locally for anything to do with boats...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com