Brian D

Default Poplar plywood

The wood would be used for superstructure. I wonder if the bendy stuff
would be OK for a V-berth with nicer styling, if I supported it with
appropriate framing inside? Got me thinking now...

That Finnish Form Ply might be worth looking into. I know some people are
using MDO (medium density overlay) plywood, but I hesitate on that because
most outfits put unrepaired C grade plies inside. They use more plies than
standard BCX and that helps, but I'd have to hand pick the stuff AND I'd
want to do a peel test and boil test before buying into the stuff. No, what
I'm looking for is a "tough enough" rigid ply product for superstructure
that isn't too heavy.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
"Brian D" wrote in message

Anyone use Lite Ply, a poplar plywood made by North American Plywood?

(See
www.naply.com )

Brian

Brian,

I looked at the Lite-Ply at the NAP site. We sometimes use that stuff
at work to build radiused die walls, cabinets, etc. We call it
"benderboard". It has basically zero structural integrity...all the
plies run the same direction. It's fantastic for bending, if that's
what you need, but you definitely couldn't use it for a hull.

Did you check out the Finnish Form Ply? Speaking from experience, that
stuff is virtually void-free, tough-as-nails(engineered for multiple
pours), and extremely water-resistant. It also has a paperlike coating
that WILL NOT delaminate, which would make painting a breeze. I see
they offer it in 1/4" thickness and long lengths...I wonder how much
$$$?

Doug