Andrew Butchart

Default Poplar plywood

I used poplar for sheer clamps on a OSS a three seasons ago. My cheap luan
plywood has delaminated in places, but the poplar still looks good. The
boat is generally kept under cover and has only paint on it FWIW.

--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.abutchartconsulting.com/sailing/ - The Floating Bear

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
I've done some laminating using cold-molded poplar veneers 1/10th inch
thick. It works well with epoxy and makes for a very strong, lightweight
laminate. The application wasn't for boat hulls, so I can't help you with
your moisture question.

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message
I would like to know more about poplar plywood.
We did build a small test boat from it (our FL11) and in the shop it

looks
like a great material.
It is light and strong, does not split, bends well and absorbs resin

quite
well, a very good point for epoxy encapsulated boats.
It is a renewable resource and inexpensive.
The mechanical characteristics are perfect for our applications.
Several professional kayak builders and WEST Systems speak favorably of
poplar. I am certain that it is great plywood for small skiffs, kayaks,
canoes etc. That point is granted.
It may work for some of our sport fishing designs too but here comes the
question:
How is the resistance to rot and the moisture intake when used in a boat
that stays in the water for long periods of time? I am looking at hulls

that
are completely epoxy saturated and fiberglassed, where the plywood is a
core, not plain wooden boats.
I just fiberglassed some scrap poplar plywood, will paint the samples

and
sink them under my dock for a few months to measure changes but I would

love
to hear from builders with real world experience.
Does anybody have a boat build from poplar plywood and how is it doing?
Serious answers only please: no flames from "know-it-all" people

claiming
that this a stupid idea etc.
I did my research and compiled a good amount of data about it. No need

tell me that there are different types of poplar, populus and tulipifera

or
what the bending moment is. What I don't have is information about boats
build with that material.

Thank you in advance.

--
Jacques