Brian D

Default Book about structural design ?

Ok, how about "unpredictable". Sure, you can make reasonable estimates.
Then some guy with big eyes and small brain decides to set a new air speed
record off the top of a wave, only to slam into a BIG wave right after. If
you could guarantee prudent use, you might be able to better estimate loads.

Brian

"Schöön Martin" wrote in message
"Brian D" writes:

It's important to note that the remarks made about structural

calculations
are accurate, but also note that boats are subject to unknown forces.

Unknown forces?
Like ESP or telekinesis or "may the force be with you"?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist :-)

But also, there are no such unknown forces IMHO.

snip
not surviving etc). If I were you, I'd go ahead and buy the books that
apply, read them, then decide how far you want to take it...the training

and
education or the design work itself. Armchair sports or playing the

game.

Right and if you feel intimidated by the math and physics you'd better
stay away from it.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

Go to http://www.multihulls.org/boats/scarlatti/scmain.htm for something
completely different. Please visit the "Technical" section (link at the
bottom) for a very incomplete discussion. Material on structural
engineering will be added as time permits.

Cheers,

Martin Schöön

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back"