Brian D

Default American White Oak vs Cedar in clinker construction

Nobody mentioned it, so I will. If you are using epoxy, be aware that white
oak can sometimes work, sometimes not. I've heard a lot of arguments as to
why, but I've not seen a lot of answers for how to guarantee that epoxy will
stick to white oak as well as it sticks to other types of woods. White oak
is more rot resistant than red, so don't be tempted to use red oak because
it glues better.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Al" wrote in message
om...
I've just got a quote back from a company on planking stock. The
White Oak came in at around £20 cheaper (negligible) and therefore
price is not a consideration. The HMSO Handbooks of Hard and Soft
woods make the White Oak sound like a very good material, particularly
with regard to bending with a downside of a tendency to dull tools and
variability in quality dependant on the precise species and
environment. It made the Cedar out to be a rather brittle material,
although easy to work, although no precise mechanical properties are
available in my edition (1957 reprinted '60).

Appearance is a secondary consideration to strength in this
application and ease of working. Which would you consider to be the
better timber to use for a 9foot stem dinghy expected to last a while,
given that this is my first foray into traditional construction?

I would also be grateful if suggestions could be made about suitable
centreline materials, again, strength and suitability being primary to
appearance. Leather suggests a mixture of Mahogany (Utile is
available), Iroko or Oak in his book "Clinker Boatbuilding" but I'd be
interested in other's opinions.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Al