Marty[_2_] Marty[_2_] is offline

Default Depth Sounder on the blink

wrote:

NASA spent a bazillion bucks trying to find a suitable adhesive for the
heat shield tiles on the shuttle, ended up using good ol' silicone, (RTV
if you want to sound tech savvy).

Cheers
Marty

Adhesive Bond Used on Columbia Space Shuttle Known to be Less Heat
Resistant, Says UB Materials Engineer

[snip PHD's pontificating]

Some days I wonder if they hand out PHDs with cornflakes. Typical
adhesives only good to 250F? What a crock. Just look at the use of high
temp silicones to gasket any modern internal combustion engine. Look
even further at the products manufactured by Loctite and used to both
fix an seal numerous fasteners and surfaces in relatively high
temperature places in motors manufactured by Rotax.

From a personal empirical point of view; I had bonded cement tiles to
drywall to act as a heatshield behind a wood fired cook stove in my
house, following a house fire, within two feet of the nearest tiles, the
tiles still could not be pulled of the wall by hand. A wrecking bar had
to be employed and the drywall was pulled apart. BTW, the fire had
nothing to do with the cook stove, but it did lead to about $200k in
repairs.

Cheers
Marty