P.C. Ford

Default American White Oak vs Cedar in clinker construction

On 19 Sep 2003 09:54:27 -0700, (Al) wrote:

Which would you consider to be the
better timber to use for a 9foot stem dinghy expected to last a while,
given that this is my first foray into traditional construction?

I would also be grateful if suggestions could be made about suitable
centreline materials, again, strength and suitability being primary to
appearance. Leather suggests a mixture of Mahogany (Utile is
available), Iroko or Oak in his book "Clinker Boatbuilding" but I'd be
interested in other's opinions.

You are on the right track. Keel and stem of white oak. Planking of
red cedar. Red cedar is somewhat brittle in its mechanical properties,
that is true, but it was the commonly used planking stock for small
boats.

Wood should be air-dried. Kiln dried is much more brittle. If at all
possible you should get green white oak for your frames.

Small boats do tend to be more "bendy" than somewhat larger ones.
You can't reduce beam as much as length in a small boat. Thus, the
planks are bent somewhat more. It could be said that a dinghy is a bit
more difficult to build than a somewhat larger boat, say in the 12 to
14 ft. range. If possible, I'd build a bit larger boat; it'll be more
usefull as well.