Al

Default American White Oak vs Cedar in clinker construction

I've just got a quote back from a company on planking stock. The
White Oak came in at around £20 cheaper (negligible) and therefore
price is not a consideration. The HMSO Handbooks of Hard and Soft
woods make the White Oak sound like a very good material, particularly
with regard to bending with a downside of a tendency to dull tools and
variability in quality dependant on the precise species and
environment. It made the Cedar out to be a rather brittle material,
although easy to work, although no precise mechanical properties are
available in my edition (1957 reprinted '60).

Appearance is a secondary consideration to strength in this
application and ease of working. Which would you consider to be the
better timber to use for a 9foot stem dinghy expected to last a while,
given that this is my first foray into traditional construction?

I would also be grateful if suggestions could be made about suitable
centreline materials, again, strength and suitability being primary to
appearance. Leather suggests a mixture of Mahogany (Utile is
available), Iroko or Oak in his book "Clinker Boatbuilding" but I'd be
interested in other's opinions.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Al