posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default NMEA and SeaTalk on same network

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
:

Is there a seatalk-only heading sensor? I've got a heading sensor but
it's attached to the autopilot, and thus only works what that's turned
on. I tend not to use the autopilot but would like a header
indicator.

-Bill Kearney

Sure. Raymarine calls it a "Smart Heading Sensor" and it also includes an
electronic gyro that feeds rate-of-turn data to the system.

http://www.raytechonline.com/product...ion=2&page=389
&product_id=699

Pay particular attention to the instructions on placement and orientation
of the big box with the gyro in it when you install it. The fluxgate is
installed elsewhere so they do not interact. Don't install them next to
each other.

"Lionheart" has this overpriced beast on it and it does work, I suppose.
But, the compass sensor for the B&G "Network" Pilot autopilot works so much
better we hardly ever use it. The B&G Pilot "learns" and corrects its
oversteering shortly after you install it, making its own chart of how to
make smooth turns and compensate for the boat's motion, so the SHS is just
overkill. The B&G self compensates its compass sensor, storing its offsets
very nicely. Compass data to the network comes out of the Pilot computer,
already nicely compensated. The SHS is the backup unit, after comparing
them for a while.

Just like anything else for the boat, bring your high-limit credit card...
(c;