posted to rec.boats.electronics
Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default NMEA and SeaTalk on same network

Larry wrote in
:

Manlio wrote in
news:kgoks3lt7mrm6s0cavklpprrs2t1sf2kro@ 4ax.com:

I would like to add a second GPS (Raystar 125) connecting its SeaTalk
output signal to the SeaTalk network. This would be meant to be a
reserve in case of failure of the first one. May I leave it in
operation, having GPS data coming from two devices, or it's better to
keep it off and disconnected while the first one is in operation ?

You must NEVER have TWO GPS units talking to the network at the same
time. They will NEVER put out the same data. The results are that
every plotter on the boat goes crazy with the conflicting data
streams, your position jumping from A to B to A to B all the time.

I don't believe this is what actually happens with RayMarine chart-
plotters. From what I've seen, it uses a single talker for the input and
when that input fails, it switches over to the other source.

In the case of multiple compasses, which I have, it averages the reading
between the sources.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org