posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising
Graham Frankland[_3_] Graham Frankland[_3_] is offline

Default Those in peril ...

"BrianH" wrote in message
. ..
As someone who cruises long-term in the Mediterranean I have long been
aware of the flood of would-be migrants from Africa and some Balkan
countries attempting to reach western Europe and have avoided those waters
where their craft may be traversing.

However, the situation in the waters of the Atlantic between the African
continent and the Spanish Canary Islands is much worse, despite the longer
distances involved. This is because the people are very often in desperate
plights in craft that are not seaworthy, with insufficient food and water.

What does the group think of the following incident and what would they
consider should be done, both by a threatened yacht skipper and by the
authorities.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...fpart/all/vc/1

This is also becoming a problem on the Algarve and SW Spain. One guy we met
had come across a sinking boat full of refugees and called it in. The
response from (IIRC Tarifa Radio) warned him "if you value your boat and
possibly your life, stand off and wait for assistance, on no account allow
them to board". A customs boat was on scene within 20 mins or so.

We have discussed possible actions at length and, in common with many
others, have come to the conclusion that we would deploy the life raft or
dinghy to help people actually in the water but will not allow anyone to
board.

Graham.