cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Dingy

wrote:

wrote in message

wrote:.

Yes it is. What I have used is 0.185" thick Meranti plywood.

Once the layouts have been done and the parts all cut out and labelled.

A coat of two parts epoxy is applied on each part individually and allows
dry. Then the parts are assembled (dry) according to the drawing using
the
stitching method. Afterward, the assembly is validated and corrected, as
needed it. After that, the epoxy fillets are applied with fibreglass
tape
and let to dry.

Subsequently, a second coat to of two parts epoxy is applied inside out.
Before painting (for UV protection), a third and fourth coasts of epoxy
is
applied. As you can see, the construction is light and strong. The
hardwood gunwales and keel also add to the stiffness of the boat

No cloth layed over the panels, just at the seams? Seems like a waste
of resin, if you were going to put on two coats you might as well have
put on some cloth which would improve strength & abrasion resistance.

Foam core would have been lighter & stronger; I've seen a number of
tenders & dinghies built using 4mm and 5mm plywood and that's what
convinced me to use foam core.... those boats you have to step very
carefully in & out of.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Good comments,
My email was intended to be a brief description on how its done not a step
by step procedures.
Twelve years ago my daughter build a 11'2" Shellback sailing Dinghy applying
four coats (as I have described) of epoxy (No cloth layed over the panels,
just at the seams) plus coats of UV paint. Since then this sailing dinghy
has been stored outside 12 months a year along the rocky edge of the La
Have river NS behind her property. During the Canadian winter its covered
with show and ice. This sailing dinghy is used about 4 - 5 time every week
during the summer. Kids are often dragging the dinghy on the rocky beach,
So far the only maintenance done was painting it with a good quality latex
outside house paint every 2 to 3 years. A quick survey was done amongst her
friends that have build the same dinghy at the same time using only on coat
of epoxy and storing it outside all year.
The finding revealed that none of these dinghies were in use anymore.
Water, snow, ice, rain and quick freezing temperature and melt down have
caused water infiltration and below freezing temperature causing
delaminating of the material used. So far my daughter's Shellback is
holding up good. Every time I visit her I keep telling her to cover the
boat during the winter.

Would that be this one?
http://www.woodenboat.com/store/nutbacks.htm
Or is it a different design?