Backyard Renegade

Default Building Skin-on-Frame Boats

John Fereira wrote in message ...
(Backyard Renegade) wrote in
om:

"Lefty" wrote in message
. net...
I borrowed the book with this title (title of the thread)
from my cousin. It was written by Robert Morris of the
Brewery Creek Small Boat Shop. I wonder if any of you
have built using this book, or would recommend another
as an alternative or supplement?

I had thought of building a stitch-and-glue kayak kit as
my fist boatbuilding project, but now I'm leaning this
way. The anotomical design rules (based on hip width, armspan, etc.)
appeal to me (and will make a fast boat for my 6' skinny self ;-), and
I'm not sure I want to do a lot of fiberglass work anyway.

Comments?

Fiberglass work such as stitch and tape is much easier and faster than
woodwork and joinery. Having never built a skin on frame, I can only
say that there will probably less parts too in a S+T. Here is a pretty
interesting S+T kayak that could be built by a first time builder:
http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Buil...chAndGluePlans.
html The designer is very accessable and may be able to address the
"anotomical design rules", that is to say, he can probably tell you if
it is a good choice for you...

From what I've heard the stitch-n-glue/tape guillemot is fairly difficult to
build compared to most S&G designs.

The point about the woodworking/joinery for a skin-on-frame is a good one
though. Stitch-n-Glue boats, built from a kit, require very little
woodworking skills. I've known a couple of people that had no prior
woodworking experience whatsoever that built gorgeous stitch-n-glue boats.
If all the panels are pre-cut, as they are from a kit, it's like putting
together a large model.

Although I can see where it would be and it is noted as a difficult
build for a beginner, with patience it can be done and in the long run
you end up with so much more boat than the typical S&T paddle dory:
http://smallboats.com/iras_plans.htm
Last season a 17 YO Field Hockey star from down state decided she
wanted to build a boat, but had no experience. I sold her a kit and
like you said, she built a beautiful boat. I mean, you get what you
get. A nice stripper is going to be a better boat than a typical S&T,
but don't ever let anyone tell you that all S&T boats are floating
boxes anymore...
Scotty