[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Roll Pitch & Comfort

On Feb 28, 6:29 pm, Red wrote:
...What I have seen though, are ratings that Brwewer himself
has done on numerous boat designs other than his own...

I have not seen these. Do you have a link? However, what I want to
see is experimental evidence that people actually experience less
discomfort on boats with high CRs. I think the physics of the CR is
so simplified that there is little reason to believe there will be
much correlation between high CRs and more comfortable boats or even
boats with slower rates or smaller magnitudes of heave, pitch and
roll. The argument that it only works for very similar boats seems to
suggest it is broken, too. Very similar boats will behave so
similarly that it may be the only way to tell if you're more
comfortable is to calculate the CR...

Sigh, since the horse is dead it won't mind me beating on it. I think
Brewer's basic premise is wrong. One more reason I think the CR is
bogus is that it assumes that the sails can always provide roll
damping. This is often not the case underway and is seldom if ever
the case at anchor. A boat with a high CR will almost certainly be
unlivable at anchor if there is even a suggestion of a ground swell.
It is axiomatic that cruisers spend 90% of their time at anchor. So,
even if Brewer is, by some ineffable chance, right about the CR
underway you're still likely to gain a whole bunch more "comforts" on
a low CR boat at anchor than you will lose underway.

-- Tom.