sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Powerboat trip from Grand Bahama to Florida

The winds in the Gulf Stream generally clock around clockwise and you want to
leave optimally when they are out of the south east to west. Otherwise you will

have a wind in opposition to the strong current causing very steep and
uncomfortable
waves. There are many summer days when the stream is flat as a pancake, but you

cannot count on that. Having a power boat is an advantage as your crossing time
is
much faster than most sail boats. Be sure to allow for the northerly set of the
stream
in your navigation. It's about a 50 mile crossing from Florida to Bimini, and
at 35 knots, you should make it there in less than 2 hours. You can either make
a stop in
Bimini or pass to the north of it straight through to Freeport. Top up your
water and
fuel, which is very expensive in the Bahamas.

Sherwin

AGrigorof wrote:

I will be moving to Freeport, Grand Bahama this summer and I'm
thinking of purchasing a 32-34 feet / 600 HP, twin engine powerboat
cruiser. I have sailing experience (39-45 feet monohulls and cats) and
used to be a deck officer in the merchant marine but I'm not that
experienced on powerboats that size and the passage from Florida to
Grand Bahama. I know the Gulf Stream can have a big impact on
sailboats but how about a 34 feet powerboat cruiser with a cruising
speed of 30-40 knts? Is it fairly safe to make this trip? How long
does it take for example from West Palm Beach (or from somewhere in
the area) to Freeport? 4-5 hours?