Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Powerboat trip from Grand Bahama to Florida

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:33:41 -0800 (PST), AdisonGrio
wrote:

I'm not sure what is a typical cruising speed in this waters. On a
flat lake it would be easy to tell how long it takes to go from point
A to point B but crossing the Gulf Stream is different. In straight
line, from Freeport to West Palm Beach there are approx. 90 miles so
with a 30 mph cruising speed (I don't know why all the boat vendors
give the crusing speed in mph instead of knots... maybe because lots
of people don't know the difference between an international mile and
a nautical mile) it means that I can make it in approx. 3 hours. But
can I achieve that crusing speed in typical Gulf Stream waters with a
32-34 feet boat?

Some days yes, many days no. Most people try to leave early in the
morning at sunrise to try and get a head start before the thermals
kick in.