Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Powerboat trip from Grand Bahama to Florida

AGrigorof wrote:

I will be moving to Freeport, Grand Bahama this summer and I'm
thinking of purchasing a 32-34 feet / 600 HP, twin engine powerboat
cruiser. I have sailing experience (39-45 feet monohulls and cats) and
used to be a deck officer in the merchant marine but I'm not that
experienced on powerboats that size and the passage from Florida to
Grand Bahama. I know the Gulf Stream can have a big impact on
sailboats but how about a 34 feet powerboat cruiser with a cruising
speed of 30-40 knts? Is it fairly safe to make this trip? How long
does it take for example from West Palm Beach (or from somewhere in
the area) to Freeport? 4-5 hours?

It's fairly safe although you should be aware of the weather and not
try to go when there is a north wind.

My SIL goes from Miami to the Bahamas all the time in a small fishing
boat. He currently has a catamaran about 27 feet with two big engines
(250s?). He took the family from Miami to Grand Bahama and then the
second day went to the Abacos for a week. On the way back, they did
it all in one day.

I've seen people on little fishing boats go across when the Gulf
Stream was really rough and not think anything of it. And that's what
the folks in the DEA etc use.