Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default Rowing a porta-bote (was) Dingy

On Feb 23, 2:34 pm, wrote:

Oh, yeah. The included, aluminum collapsible oars are fine for emergencies, but
if you are going to mostly row, rather than use a motor, you'll want to get a
set of real, full length oars and oarlocks. The oarlock sockets need a minor
modification to accept real oarlocks. I bring the collapsible oars only as
backup when using the motor.

I doubt anything could convince me to go back to an inflatable.

I strongly second the general wimpieess of the supplied oars. I
modified my Bote to accept standard feathering rowlocks, and kept one
of the sets of oars I used to use with my rowing shells.

I had to move the collars all the way to the inside to make it fit
with (still) more overlap than standard, and the sides are floppy, so
it takes a fine hand to make sure the pull is straight (don't push or
pull the collar, essentially, on the stroke).

I've never really tried, but I believe that if I were to work at it, I
could plane it :{)) I sorely miss the sliding seat part of my rowing
but that would complicate matters and storage severely. Someone more
serious than I could surely make that happen, though, as the Alden
shells are little more than canoes with clips into which you mount the
sliding seat and rigger package. There are several manufacturers of
drop-in sliding-seat rowing gear, but each setup likely would increase
the cost of the bote by a good half or more; the oars are another
significant portion if you don't already own them (I did - new,
they're $400 the pair).

From a standing start, on flat ground, I can take it out of a van,
assemble it, and be rowing, and in reverse, land, disassemble and stow
it in the van in 5 minutes each way including mounting the rowlock
assembly. Pix of the modification are in the gallery, if you would
like to see it, at:http://www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery/index.php?
mode=album&album=Morgan+461+Hull+Number+2+Refit+%2 B+Projects
%2FFinishing_Touches-Readying_To_Splash%2FPorta-
Bote_Maiden_Voyage_and_Sculling_Modifications, or http://tinyurl.com/2we3rp

There are pix of the sculling oars and of the standard oars in use as
well as my modifications...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power
to make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)