Randy Kotuby Randy Kotuby is offline

Default Sj maritime scans posted to a.b.p.misc - and a modest editorial

"Question ... are there still ngs which prohibit/frown upon the use of yEnc?
Anyone know?"

Posting yenc will bring a flame war in alt.binaries.pictures.rail for sure.
The group prefers UUE and those who wish to post yenc are requested to start
their subject lines with yenc so others can skip without attempting to
download.

I use the yproxy software to handle yenc so I don't care what format it is.
yproxy is free and doesn't really impact performance at all.

As for size, if you resize to 100-1280 and do a small amount of compression,
you can get good quality scans without multipart posts and at a reasonable
size for dial up. Yenc doesn't get you much of anything at that size.
Bigger is better doesn't cut it if you have to reduce the size of the shot
in the image viewer so you can see it. Don't forget the monitor may not be
able to deliver a better image due to its own limitations. If you are
looking to make a print of something, you can always ask the poster for the
full sized image. I have.

Randy

"Sj" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:08:38 GMT, Auld Phart
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:55:47 +0100, "Willem Van der Voort"
wrote:

schreef in bericht
Yenc vs UUE has been heatedly debated for some time now
in many newsgroups, and it's a pity that we get so intense
about it. I suspect the argument will continue until Yenc
becomes the standard, or everyone has free high-speed access.
Or until the messiah comes.

At the end of the day, the poster decides what they want to post and how
they
will post it. The receiver can ignore things that are posted in a way
that they
don't like, just as they can ignore posters that they don't like.

However, I do wonder when I see someone entering the debate and posting
rubbish
like that quoted below.

Yenc have noting to do with high-speed access..

Yenc has everything to do with file size, and file size has everything to
do
with speed of access.

If you look at the file size
of a Yenc poster you will see they send mostly very large files.

Anyone posting large files OR a reasonable number of smaller files would
be
quite wasteful of resources if they did not use yEnc.

A 1 Gb file posted using yEnc is transported over the net to a multitude
of news
servers as a ~ 1.03 Gb package. The same posted as UUE will use ~ 1.4 Gb.

By the same token, 1000 1 Mb jpg files will use ~ 1.03 Gb if posted in
yEnc, ~
1.4 Gb if done in UUE.

The UUE posts use ~ 35% extra bandwidth over every internet link they
traverse
and 35% extra storage on every new server where they are stored.

If everyone posted in yEnc, retention could increase by 35% over what it
would
be if everyone posted in UUE.

Not necessarily ... I find that the faster machines & the
use of yEnc encourages people to post volumes more,
whether it be jpg's, mp3's, DVD's, whatever ...

Only problem is, the days haven't gotten any longer
to assimilate more & the eyeballs/ears still work at
the same speed ...

There are some ngs which are considered dump
groups ... my news service has cut the retention of
those ngs to 2-3 days, due to the sheer volume ...

You know, if you don't yEnc, people complain ...if
you do yEnc, people complain ... just maybe the
complaints should be directed at the software
companies who make the software we use ...

I started posting here because I had a request from
someone in wallpaper to post my maritime stuff ...not
being wallpaper size, I started in misc, then found I
had a request from someone to post some here, as
this person couldn't get misc ... so I posted here
what I knew I hadn't posted here before ... then I
get a lot of garbage about segments ...that sadly
brought in yEnc, which, as it turns out, had
absolutely nothing to do my posting in segments,
as at present, I have elected not to post in yEnc ...

But the 2 got tied together ...

Question ... are there still ngs which prohibit/frown
upon the use of yEnc? Anyone know?

Anyway, tell you what ...

My home ng is artpics, has been for years ... I'll
continue to scan art/photos w/in my monitor size
(1280 x 1024) & post a few new ones each day ...

Reposts may # a few more, mainly to fine-art,
dragonz, misc &/or a.b.scanmaster ...

Since I don't foresee scanning any maritime art
in the near future, I'll just lurk here to see if I spot
a nice pic of a tug or an amazing shot of a
containership ... or etc, etc, etc, as I've gotten
some nice things here ... so, thanks to all

Sj

Yenc is usful to post large files like movies ets..
Pictures in the jpg format can easily be resized to 1200 pix wide, and
with
some compression there is no need to send them in Yenc.

So if you are offered a 35% discount on a $1000 dollar purchase you would
accept
it, but would not bother about a 35% discount on a $100 purchase, even if
you
made 10 of them?

This way everybody can enjoy them.

Not every one - only those with modern computers able to run that
new-fangled
software that handles jpg. Perhaps everyone should post in bmp format so
that
all those poor souls who still run DOS or Windows 3 paint can enjoy them.

It should not be required to be at the bleeding edge, but if your
equipment and
software is way out of date, you miss out.

I used to use a 300 baud modem. If I still tried to use that, I would be
unable
to enjoy most (or even any) of the posts. But I upgraded regularly to
something
that was not too far out of date. The people who complain that their
tired old
excuse for a newsreader will not handle yEnc can either just ignore the
yEnc
posts or get a real newsreader.

Auldphart