cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Dingy

wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:40:24 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:31:54 -0400, wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:09:16 -0600, cavalamb himself
wrote:

I'm a bit surprised about the RIBs as I didn't suspect they would
be that popular. Something to think about.

One of the nice things about RIBs is the ability to beach them without
tearing up the bottom. That's important when you are cruising in the
boondocks and want to go ashore.

I have a wooden dinghy and I am just about to order a RIB.
What is your take on a single hull vs. the double hulled RIB
Hypalon is a better material but this new German made PVC looks promising,
what do you think.

Hypalon is the gold standard for durability, wouldn't have anything
else, and I agree with Geoff on the double hull.

To those who say don't get a RIB, be aware of what you are not
getting: Seaworthiness, load carrying ability, redundant flotation,
drier ride (by comparison) and speed - not necessarily in that order.

There is a reason why Navy SEALS use RIBs and not FoldBotes.

Umm... Having owned both, I can say that the Porta-Bote is every bit as
seaworthy, has more useful room for a given size boat, has a drier ride, can be
rowed easily in a straight line, sailed or motored while full of water without
capsizing, and planes with a very small lightweight motor. Mine eagerly jumps up
on top of the water with a 3.5 HP motor that weighs 29 pounds. I never have to
tow it, because I can hand launch and retrieve it without a hoist, and it folds
up flat in a few minutes to be lashed to the lifelines.

It costs half what a blow up boat costs, and of course the motor costs a
fraction of what is required for a RIB to perform as well. I don't need a patch
kit, either.

Interesting boat (bote?)
http://www.porta-bote.com/dinghy.html

It for sure takes up less deck space.