Fred Williams

Default Cost of an Ancient Warship

Well we still carry one fish where 11 miles is close enough...

Enough! Back to boat building. This whole thread sucks :-(

I'm no longer going to "play".

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , Fred Williams
writes
Being an ex USN Sailor, I found this discussion semi interesting about 30
messages ago, but your lack of direct service experience is beginning to
wear on the thread, IMHO.

Is anyone involved in building a CVN? Will it be a "nuke"?

Done supporting work for CVF, for which nuclear propulsion was very
briefly considered and quickly rejected.

I think I should point out the life expectancy of any CVN is

approximately
15 minutes in an encounter with any submarine, including the oldest in
commision.

Not our carriers, mate, and probably not the USN's either. There's a gap
between seeing the carrier in your periscope, and hearing it sink, which
consists of putting enough weapons into it to let all the air out: and a
lot of successful work has gone into persuading the enemy's torpedoes
not to hit their intended targets.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill