Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default Dingy

wrote in
:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:09:16 -0600, cavalamb himself
wrote:

I'm a bit surprised about the RIBs as I didn't suspect they would
be that popular. Something to think about.

One of the nice things about RIBs is the ability to beach them
without tearing up the bottom. That's important when you are
cruising in the boondocks and want to go ashore.

I have a wooden dinghy and I am just about to order a RIB.
What is your take on a single hull vs. the double hulled RIB
Hypalon is a better material but this new German made PVC looks
promising, what do you think.

I much prefer a double hulled RIB to a single hull. My first dinghy (which
was stolen in Honduras) was an Avon with a single hull and since then I've
had 2 double hulled ones. The weight of the double hull makes it ride
better and the double hull provides a bottom which is much more amenable to
humans.

All of the dinghies have been Hypalon and have held up very well in the
Caribbean sun. I've seen a lot of PVC ones that haven't held up as well.
My current dinghy is an AB and I like it a lot. It rides well and is much
drier than most.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org