Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Dingy

On 2008-02-21 21:34:10 -0500, said:

When you look at what a lot of cruisers are using, RIB's are very
popular. We chose not to go that route and went with a porta-bote
instead. It rows decent, it has positive floatation, it's lighter than
RIB's, it doesn't require a dinghy davit, it's more tolerant to abuse
and it's cheaper. The last quality is that it's so ugly no one will
want to steal it. It meets most of Wilbur's criterial, although it's
not GRP and it stows even better than a hard dinghy.

I second this viewpoint, particularly the "ugly" safeguard. It looks
and "feels" too flimsy to last, but ours is probably a dozen seasons
old now, and still is the rendezvous "taxi" when people need to ferry
about. Only the 55-56 foot powerboats have dinks that can ferry 5
adults at once -- and keep them dry.

And as a backup to the "rows decently": In many anchorages, most
PortBote folks don't hassle with the outboard, but just row around.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD