jaybird

Default How big a boat can be launched at a boat ramp?

"Tony V" wrote in message
I know the exact answer depends on ramp angle, height
of waterline above grade and tow vehicle height,
but I was wondering in general, just how big a boat can be
launched without dangerously submerging the tow vehicle.

What's your experience?

Tony V

It depends on the steepness of the ramp. I'm sure there's some technical
physics equation that could be produced, but I used to have a 19 foot
bowrider that I launched with a standard V6 pickup that smoked the clutch
everytime. Now I have a 23 footer, about 3800 lbs. with a large block V8
4x4 that has never had a problem at all in 2 wheel drive on a concrete ramp
(the sandy beach required 4x4, but with no problems and the water was all
the way up to the driver's door). It's all in what you use to get the job
done.

j.