TMOliver

Default Cost of an Ancient Warship

Andrew Toppan vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:33:51 -0400, "Charles Talleyrand"
wrote:

I'm interested in any time period from ancient Egypt to maybe
Napoleon. I'm just trying to get an order of magnitude informed guess.
Significant Google searching didn't help. Can anyone here help?

10 seconds of Googling for HMS VICTORY indicates that she "cost
£63,176. For comparison, this would be equivalent to the cost of
building an aircraft carrier today."

Awww, no....

That could only build one of those cut rate RN CVs to be, you know, two
thrudeck crusiers welded together, one island removed, and a bit of
planking laid across the gap.

TMO

I suspect that for most sailing warships, especially the 1st and 2nd Rates,
the cost of the "Pupkeep" far outweighed those of the original "pup".