Peter Skelton

Default Cost of an Ancient Warship

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:33:51 -0400, "Charles Talleyrand"
wrote:

I'm trying to understand the cost of building an oceangoing ship in
some terms I can understand. I great answer would be of the form
"To build an 80 ft sailing vessel in 1492 took about 14,000 man/hours" or
something like that.

Or "One could buy a 100 ft sailing vessel in Venice for 9000 florins,
and each florin could hire a skilled worker for a week."

I'm interested in any time period from ancient Egypt to maybe Napoleon.
I'm just trying to get an order of magnitude informed guess.

Significant Google searching didn't help. Can anyone here help?

You might try "The 74 Gun Ship" Jean Boudret, French originally
but well translated, or Lavery's "The Ship of the Line." I'm not
certain they'll have exactly what you want, but allow a week,
they tend to be adicting and they aren't thin.

Good luck

____

Peter Skelton