posted to rec.boats.electronics
msg msg is offline

Default Isolation transformers

Larry wrote:

snip
Wouldn't it be cool if someone were to build a diesel genset of the
technology of the electronic switching gensets like mine? When the boat is
off on its own, the slow-speed, economizing diesel's high voltage, high
frequency flywheel coils would power its precise 60 Hz, synthesized
switching AC power supply to drive the boat loads, as the diesel lumbers
along, not at 1800 or 3600 RPM, but a much slower speed only to provide the
electronics the DC to drive its output loads.

snip

I did something similar in '91; drove a military 2 kVA alternator with an
oversized small engine. The alternator's output was full-wave rectified
and drove a Sola 2 kVA switching power supply (72 VDC in, 120 VAC 60 Hz out);
I also had a 72 volt 200 AH battery reservoir drive the supply when the
engine was off. It worked quite well. The engine could essentially run
at high idle to charge the batteries for my average load; the duty cycle
was about fifty percent.

Michael