P.C. Ford

Default Alternative to teak for cockpit coaming

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:31:38 GMT, Jim Conlin wrote:

If the budget won't stand teak, there's:
Honduras mahogany (60% of teak's cost)

Honduras is, of course, a wonderful wood. But I have not seen decent
quality around Seattle for years.
Sapele, an African mahogany (40%)

One of the African mahaganies wood be a good choice.
White Oak (40%)

White oak should not be used as bright exterior trim. Discolors
terribly.

It
All but the teak must be varnished.

Over40pirate wrote:

I am looking for a recomendation for a type of wood to use to replace the teak
cockpit coamings on my sailboat.
The widest end is 11" and they are 8' long.
Someone recomended Iroko. Is anyone familiar with this wood, and its
suitability? How does it glue, bend? I will need to bend it silghtly.
Thanks in advance, K