RichH

Default Alternative to teak for cockpit coaming

I'd avoid Iroko for exterior coaming, etc.

Its 'transparent'/permeable to water vapor causing most coatings -
varnish, paint, the modern '2 parts', epoxy, etc. to have 'water
lifting' problems. The bare wood surface rapidly oxidizes to a THICK
grey and not as stable as naturally grey teak. It will rot eventually.
Apply ONLY with a total epoxy seal coat but expect that when water vapor
and oxygen eventualy permeates through the epoxy, that the epoxy-Iroko
bond will fail. The only finish that 'sticks' to Iroko is a thick heavy
resinated tung oil finish. If left bare, the soft grain will rapidly erode.
Pearson used Iroko in the 70s & 80s for brightwork trim ... most of
those older Pearson have replaced the eroded Iroko on external bright
work. It is a especially beautiful wood - especially for interior work.

Over40pirate wrote:
I am looking for a recomendation for a type of wood to use to replace the teak
cockpit coamings on my sailboat.
The widest end is 11" and they are 8' long.
Someone recomended Iroko. Is anyone familiar with this wood, and its
suitability? How does it glue, bend? I will need to bend it silghtly.
Thanks in advance, K