Jacques Mertens

Default Great Lakes Marine Surveyor WORST

"Greg" wrote in message
I do not buy the bit about them forcing you to pull the boat out of the
water due to wiring, unless maybe it was due to the shore power wiring

being
wrong. They do get testy about that, but I have not seen them do so

except
at the dock when someone was trying to hook up to the shore power with the
wrong type of cabling.

Correct: it is an industry standard but not a law. They probably recommended
not to keep sailing with that wiring but they can't force a boat to return
to port for that reason. We are still free to do stupid things.
The biggest would be a short with a fire and caustic fumes but you 1st need
a short and then a fuse that fails: low probability.
One thing is certain: Hunter does not use house grade electrical wires. A
previous owner has probably done some mods with cheap wires and the surveyor
missed it. Not good but also not the end of the world.
Some wires are worth replacing if the hull is sound, engine and sails good.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com