posted to rec.boats.building
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default "tent" type dinghy

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:49:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Feb 8, 12:37*am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 03:43:49 -0800 (PST),

wrote:
I am so sick of these "designers" selling boats and plans with illegal
non-flotation configurations.. Just my opinion...

I was under the impression that you could build whatever you want for
your own use.

The USCG regulations for small boats apply equally to home built boats
made for personal use, as for retail sales..

Safety Standards For Backyard Boat Builders - COMDTPUB P16761.3B

If you do a quick google you will find this document handy..

Lots of good advice *but* here's a quote from the West System site at
http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/18/tanks.html

====
While professional builders are bound by tough USCG regulations and
ABYC standards regarding tanks, backyard-boat builders have the option
to follow or disregard them. However, if the builder decides to sell
the boat, the federal regulations become applicable because he/she has
built the boat for the purposes of sale.
====

That is my understanding also.

From the introduction of COMDTPUB P16761.3B at
http://www.uscg.mil/d1/units/actny/p...dBoatBldrs.pdf

This pamphlet is routinely sent to new manufacturers of recreational
boats for the purposes of sale, because it gives a good explanation of
how to go about complying with certain portions of the Federal safety
standards and regulations.