otnmbrd

Default Be careful out there

I find it hard to believe there are no warnings on VHF

Charles Cox wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:30:57 GMT, "J. Slater" wrote:

Answer me this: How does a vessel maintain 100 yards from a militaty vessel
when passing in a channel that is less than 50 yards wide? The "rules"
don't seem to give a remedy for this kind of scenario. It should at least
be mentioned as an exception.

It's happened to me a couple of times in Boston harbor. Not military ships, but a cruise ship and LNG tanker both had security
zones around them. Since there is no warning on the VHF, it is easy to get caught by a ship leaving one of the channels or the
Mystic river because they are not visible until they are entering the main channel. In both cases, the police instructed (via
bullhorn) me to keep as far to the outside of the channel as possible. Fortunately this has never happened when I was near the
airport security zone, one could easily find oneself caught in the middle of two overlapping security zones.

--
Chuck Cox
SynchroSystems Motorsport Computers

http://www.synchro.com