Jim Woodward

Default To many pumps!!!

Just so there's no mistake here -- the galvanizing, etc. was done by
the builders to the Royal Navy spec thirty years ago. We're just
working within the framework (or should I say "maze" or maybe "rat's
nest") that we inherited. See the web site for more details.

You mentioned stainless -- do you have any thoughts about it? My
general feeling is "worried" when I think about stainless and hot
running salt water, or even cold stagnant salt water. I suspect that
the galvanized mild steel will last longer and fail more slowly (it
begins to weep), but I'm not a metallurgist.....

And, yes, PVC, even Scd 80, has its problems. We'll use it only for
bilge and freshwater suctions, not seawater, and not in the engine
room.

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

DSK wrote in message ...
Jim Woodward wrote:

Take a look at http://www.mvfintry.com/pix/manifoldbilges800.jpg
Every piece of pipe you see was custom welded and then galvanized
after welding. It won't burn, won't burst, and won't have hose clamp
failure.

DUDE! Galvanized? I'm impressed. You obviously spent a lot of time & money working out a good
engineering plant, did anybody suggest seamless SS piping just for laughs?

It will eventually rust through, but yearly inspections deal
with this -- rusting is obvious and slow. (We will, however, replace
most of it outside of the engine room with schedule 80 PVC).

Probably a smart move, although I've seen vibration cause trouble with PVC longevity, outside the
engineroom it shouldn't be an issue.

Whenever you get the chance, go aboard government and industrial boats
and make notes -- you'll learn a lot about really designing for
reliability and maintainability.

Thanks, that's where I cut my chops starting an embarassingly long time ago.

A trip to the Work Boat show in New
Orleans (early December) can be eye-opening for someone whose only
boating is on yachts.

Thanks for the tip, I have some friends in N'awlins we love to visit.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King