Bill Cole

Default What time of year to purchase a boat

Wayne,
That is the definition of Bluewater I have always heard. I have seen the
dark bright blue color and it is very beautiful. I think I always thought
of it as being about 100 miles offshore, because that is when I started to
notice the color change. It also is totally different than the light blue
of the Caribbean.

While I have sailed and boated in the Great Lakes, it can be very beautiful.
While the Great Lakes are looking much cleaner, it does not resemble the
"bluewater" you see in the middle of the ocean.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:19:58 GMT, "Bill Cole"
wrote:
Bluewater is normally
considered way offshore, (I normally think about it being over 100 miles
offshore, some people think bluewater is when you cross an ocean, who the
heck knows).

"Blue Water" actually begins when you go off soundings at the edge of
the continental shelf. Along much of the east coast, this is in the
range of 60 to 100 miles offshore. On the Pacific coast it is much
closer. The color of the water actually does change to a dark
iridescent blue which is hard to describe. Blue water is generally
used to describe conditions of large, deep, open water where you are
too far from port to easily return in the event of bad weather.