Bill Cole

Default What time of year to purchase a boat

I don't consider the Great Lakes to be Bluewater. I have always heard the
expression "Bluewater" in reference to the dark bright blue color of the
ocean far far from shore where it is not colored by sediment. It is not my
definition, it is one used by people who sail and cross the oceans.
http://www.bwsailing.com/.

Now if you want to call the Great Lakes, Bluewater, feel free.

But I must have missed something along the way, I didn't realize I was in an
argument. To be real honest with, I have no concerns if anyone buys a
SeaRay. In fact, I really don't care if someone buys a SeaRay to cross the
Pacific. The point I was trying to make was that SeaRay is a good boat,
nothing more or nothing less. I saw a few posts where people were bad
mouthing SeaRay, and I was coming to SeaRay's defense. It is a reasonable
priced boat, that many people enjoy. Now if you want to believe SeaRay is
the best boat in the world, so be it.

"Jim" wrote in message

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
The difference is being able to outrun bad weather. Bluewater is

normally
considered way offshore, (I normally think about it being over 100 miles
offshore, some people think bluewater is when you cross an ocean, who

the
heck knows). If you are in the middle of the Great Lakes and a fast

front
moves through, you may not be able to outrun it, but a fast front will

also
blow over quickly. I have seen sailboats demasted by storms in both the
Great Lakes and the ocean. An heavy built boat will continue to float

after
being demasted, a lightly built sailboat can actually crack in half. I
think it was in San Diego America's Cup, a boat built for 15 knots winds
split in the middle when the wind picked up to 20 knots.

If you are boating close to shore, I would not worry about boating in a
SeaRay.

People do not boat "off shore" on the Great Lakes in a Sea Ray? Lakes

Superior and
Huron are close to 200 miles in breadth.

http://coas****ch.glerl.noaa.gov/sta.../physical.html

And "blue water" is 100 miles off shore??????? Really? Perhaps to you

because it now
suits your argument.